Associate Dean, Research
Associate Dean, Clinical Affairs
Associate Dean, Administration
How do you define health?
If you eat well, exercise regularly and maintain a recommended weight, are you healthy? If your blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar are within normal limits, are you healthy?
Now, what if you tear a ligament? Develop arthritis? Begin to lose your hearing? What if you develop adult-onset asthma? Get a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis? Suffer a paralyzing injury? Are you still healthy?
We’re here to demonstrate that there’s no reason you can’t be.
At the UIC College of Applied Health Sciences, we define health as more than the absence of illness, disease or disability. We believe people can enjoy health participation in life, whatever their circumstances. And we’re working every day to prove just that.
AHS is multidisciplinary community of health science scholars, educators and advocates who contribute to the health and well-being of people, particularly those living in urban environments.
Stats and Facts
The College of Applied Health Sciences is a socially conscious, research-intensive academic community whose mission is to broaden understanding of applied health sciences and disability. We strive to identify and meet the health needs of our society and pursue our mission by:
- Educating health professionals and scholars who excel in a complex, multicultural world;
- Discovering and translating new knowledge that transforms health care practice, social systems and related technologies for the benefit of individuals, families and communities;
- Collaborating with our urban community partners in mutually beneficial ways;
- Providing health services of the highest quality with emphasis on eliminating health disparities affecting individuals and communities; and
- Advocating for public policies, perceptions, and practices that lead to the inclusion and participation of people with disabilities in society.
Stats and Facts
In addition to UIC’s core values of excellence, opportunity, discovery, resilience, transformation, service, courage and honesty, we are guided by our unique core values of passion, curiosity, innovation, flexibility, commitment, inclusion and diversity.
- Passion about our research, teaching and helping those we serve
- Curiosity about ideas that may lead to new discoveries
- Innovation in turning discoveries into practical applications
- Flexibility in how we achieve our aspirations
- Commitment to serving our students and communities
- Inclusion through accessible programs and environments
- Diversity in reaching out to individuals from diverse backgrounds
The College of Applied Health Sciences is governed in its internal administration by its faculty. The faculty establishes the goals and academic policies of the college. The college Executive Committee and other councils and committees act on behalf of the faculty.
The dean is the highest ranking administrative officer in the college and the department heads are responsible for the resources allocated or assigned to their administrative department.
Biomedical and Health Information Sciences
Disability and Human Development
Kinesiology and Nutrition