About BHIS, University of Illinois at Chicago
The department unites four academic programs that are among the best in the country: Biomedical Visualization, Biomedical and Health Informatics, Health Informatics, and Health Information Management.
The field of biomedical and health information science is about the creation of information and its transformation to knowledge, facilitating the delivery of health care.
What Sets Us Apart
UIC provides a unique educational experience with
- An innovative curriculum that incorporates the latest ideas and technology
- A top-notch faculty with both research expertise and real-world clinical and industry experience
- Strong ties to Chicago's many clinical sites, professional associations, and Fortune 500 companies
Key accomplishments of UIC's Biomedical and Health Information Sciences include the following:
- Biomedical Visualization recognized as top program in the country
- Health Information Management leadership consistently wins teaching awards at the university, state, and national levels
- Health Informatics program was the first curriculum in the country to focus on the social and organizational issues affecting health care IT, the first accredited graduate level informatics program (by CAHIIM) in the country, and is now the largest program of its kind
- Our graduates seeking certification and credentialing enjoy pass rates that consistently exceed national averages
The college encourages and accommodates the participation of persons with disabilities in all of its programs. Click here to view UIC's official statements and policies.
Anthony Faiola, PhD, MFA