Minor in Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago
For current Kinesiology majors, the minor in Nutrition meets the growing need for health professionals that are well versed in the two critical facets of health and wellness – physical activity and nutrition.
Students earning a minor in Nutrition will have the opportunity to learn:
- Principles of good nutrition and food preparation
- Food to be included in the normal daily diet
- The essential nutrients needed by the body
- Recommended amounts of essential nutrients
- The actions of nutrients on the body
- The effects of deficiencies or excesses of nutrients
- Food and supplements that are good sources of essential nutrients
Students will be shown how to differentiate science-based nutrition information from media or "word-of-mouth" misinformation as often occurs with popular diets or supplement use.