We’re here to help. If you have questions about what to do next, contact Mollie Rose.
After You Apply
You’ve applied and submitted your application. Now what?
After a decision has been made
We notify applicants of their acceptance status via email as soon as decisions are made. There is no rolling admission. The target date for notification is December 21. Later notification is possible.
If you've been admitted...
Congratulations! You can expect an acceptance email through PTCAS. You’ll be invited to an Open House in January before you make your decision. See the Accepted Applicant Information and Checklist to follow up with next steps.
International students: If you’ll need a student visa, you should submit OIS financial documents through the application checklist for the Office of International Services. Contact the OIS concerning document requests and visa processing.
If you've been waitlisted...
Let’s face it, when roughly 800 talented applicants apply, we end up with a larger pool of candidates than we can accept. If you’re waitlisted, that means you aren’t admitted, but you’ve come closer than many applicants do. We don’t disclose where you are on the waitlist, but we almost always end up admitting students from this list.
If second round offers are made, they’re typically made between February and April, but it could be as late as August. You can set up a visit or contact Mollie Rose for details about the program. If we are able to make an offer to you as a waitlist candidate, we want you to have all the information you need to make an informed decision quickly — within a day or two after an offer is made.
If you've been denied...
Don’t give up! Admission to our program is highly competitive, and applicants now face more rigorous standards than ever before. Don’t be afraid to work on your application and reapply. Many students who aren’t accepted the first time they apply take additional courses (preferably science courses) to show that they can perform successfully in the physical therapy program.
You can contact Mollie Rose at email@example.com for advice on how to increase the competitiveness of your application.
Or, see the What We Look For section below.
If you need to defer admission...
Admission deferral can be requested once for up to one academic year. Notify us as soon as possible that you’d like to submit a request to defer admission.
If you are admitted, you may petition the faculty for consideration to have courses in the program waived. These petitions will only be considered if you took similar coursework beyond the undergraduate level, such as from another physical therapy program or health professions program.
We only consider courses with grades of B or better. You can only waive a maximum of 16 semester hours. If you have courses waived, you’ll need to complete the rest of the curriculum courses and requirements (other than waived courses) for graduation.
What We Look For
We evaluate applications based on a set of criteria that’s predictive of ability to succeed in our program and become a licensed physical therapist. Claims of extenuating circumstances, as noted in the PTCAS application, and efforts since your last application (if you are a re-applicant) are also considered.
The admissions equation
We use the following equation to weigh admissions criteria when we review applicants:
- GRE Verbal and Quantitative sections (15%) based on the sum of the scores of these two sections.
- GRE Analytic Writing section (5%) based on the score of the GRE Writing Assessment
- Cumulative GPA (15%) based on the last 60 credit hours, whether at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Prerequisite GPA (25%) is computed by averaging grades earned in course prerequisites. It doesn’t MATTER WHERE OR WHEN these courses were taken to be included. So, both an original score and a retake score are averaged together in the prerequisite GPA.
Scores and grades alone make up 60% of the admission decision. The other 40% is based on the following criteria:
- Academic preparation (15%) based on:
- School attended (competitive vs. non-competitive)
- Course load taken/factors affecting course load (e.g. full time work)
- Number of credit hours per term
- Whether more than one science/math was taken per term
- Additional science courses taken; caliber, type, grade, relevance, lab
- Recentness of prerequisite science courses; update of old prerequisite science courses; work experience refreshing old sciences
- Type and amount of prerequisites left to complete and plan for completion
- Graduate coursework taken and grades
- Additional factors (25%) based upon:
- Mitigating circumstances issue
- Efforts since last application to program: additional course work, additional work/volunteer experience
- Specific facts presented in essay and letters of recommendation
- Work/volunteer experience
- Diverse experiences
- Other language fluency
- Generic abilities
This equation may change in future admission cycles.