Free self-defense classes for women-identified UIC staff and faculty
Tuesday, November 12, 2019
The UIC Police Department is proud to offer self-defense courses in partnership with the American Women’s Self Defense Association.
The free four-hour course (2-hour classroom setting and 2-hour gym setting) is designed to introduce adult women-identified participants to the strategies, tactics and techniques needed to win a confrontation against an attacker. This course focuses on building the student’s confidence in her ability to defend herself, and in encouraging a defiant and aggressive attitude toward an attacker.
At the end of the four-hour (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.) self-defense course, the student will achieve:
1. Increased awareness of general violence prevention skills.
2. Increased confidence in her ability to fight back successfully against an attacker.
3. Established mindset of “no one has the right to put their hands on me.”
4. Strategies and tactics that can be used to potentially prevent an attack.
5. Basic techniques that she can use to defend herself physically and to win a fight in a dangerous or potentially lethal situation.
To preregister, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferred date:
Jan. 12, 26
Feb. 9, 23
March 8, 29
April 12, 26
May 10, 24