Ask your cardiologist for a referral for cardiac rehab. If your cardiologist is outside the UI Health system, have them fax their referral to (312) 413-8333. Once we receive the referral, a member of our team will contact you to get scheduled. You may also call us in advance of your referral.
Achieve your optimal functioning
The UIC Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation – one of the few in Chicago. The primary goal of cardiac rehabilitation is to help the participant achieve their optimal physical, psychological and social functioning through exercise training and lifestyle change.
The UIC cardiac rehab staff has really motivated me to come in every day. Without them, I would not have the energy to even leave my house!Charlene A.
Cardiac rehab is prescribed exercise to improve physical fitness and health. Exercise sessions take place on Monday, Wednesday and/or Friday for up to 36 sessions. We also provide education about heart disease along with counseling on ways to slow or reverse heart disease.
- Weight loss
- Lower cholesterol levels
- Blood pressure management
- Diabetes management
- Smoking cessation
- Nutrition services that are personalized to fit your needs and help you reach your health goals, for a variety of topics ranging from healthy eating and weight management to diabetes and other chronic conditions.
The team at UIC’s cardiac rehab is really supportive and helpful. They make me want to come and work out my heart. I appreciate all of their help and the boost in getting back into exercise.Katara P.
- Live longer and lower your chance for another cardiac event
- Control heart disease symptoms such as chest pain or shortness of breath
- Stop or reverse damage to your blood vessels in your heart
- Lower the physical and emotional effects of heart disease
- Improve your stamina and strength, getting you back to your usual activities, including work, hobbies and regular exercise
- Improve your confidence and well-being
Patients with a history of at least one of the following conditions:
- Heart attack within the last year
- Bypass surgery
- Regular chest pain
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Coronary stents
- Coronary angioplasty
- Heart failure with a low ejection fraction (less than or equal to 35%)
- Heart transplant
How to schedule an appointment
You can contact us at: