If you have any questions or would like verify that your application for graduation has been submitted for a specific term, contact Eileen Doran.
Apply to Graduate
All students—undergraduate, graduate, and professional—who intend to graduate during a given term must submit an application for graduation by the end of week 3 for the Fall or Spring terms or by the end of week 2 for the Summer term.
Graduation is not automatic and students must verify their degree completion within their academic departments/advisors. Please read the instructions for submitting your application for graduation carefully. Please keep in mind that submitting your application for graduation is not the same thing as submitting your RSVP to attend the Commencement ceremony. Commencement ceremonies are typically held in December and May. Our spring and fall 2020 ceremonies were presented as a virtual events. At this time, we do not have confirmation on how the spring 2021 ceremony will be delivered. We will be sure to provide you with any updates as we learn more, but please visit the UIC Commencement website for the most up to date information.
NOTE: Students enrolled in 8 week courses will not officially graduate until the completion of the full 16 week term, even if their coursework is completed during Term A.
The APPLICATION FOR GRADUATION DEADLINE for SPRING 2021 semester is JANUARY 29.
How to apply
- Login to my.UIC
- Click on the “Student” tab
- Scroll down to the “Student Self-Service” Main Menu and click.
- From the Main Menu, select “Graduate”.
- Select “Graduation Information” link. Read the Graduate Information page and Apply to Graduate steps.
- Click Apply to Graduate at the bottom of page
- Select the correct graduation term from the pull down menu and click “Submit“.
- Select the curriculum from which you are graduating this term and click “Continue”.
NOTE: If your program information is incorrect, you will be able to make changes on the Supplemental Data page. If you’re graduating from more than one program, you’ll have to go back in and submit a second application for your second degree after you’ve completed your first application. You can review your list of graduation applications by clicking the link at the bottom of the page.
- Confirm the correct curriculum was selected and enter your “Graduation Date”, click “Continue“. Your graduation date may not be the same date as your commencement ceremony. Select the default date for the term. All students from UIC graduate with the same degree date/graduation date, however their individual college’s commencement ceremonies may be on a different date (i.e. May 7, 2020 is the AHS Commencement ceremony, but May 10, 2020 is the office degree date.)
- Verify the name you want printed on your diploma. Click Help for information on how to change your name, if necessary. If you need to update your diploma name, please contact the Office of Registration and Records at 312-996-4381. Click “Continue” to move on to the next page.
- Verify your diploma mailing address and click “Continue.”
NOTE: Your diploma will be mailed to this address. If no diploma address is recorded, your most recent mailing address will be used which may not be accurate. Diplomas are generally mailed two to three months after graduation.
- Review the application summary and click Submit Request after verifying application information. Your graduation application will not be submitted unless you click on Submit Request.
- Review the Printable Application Confirmation page. If changes or corrections need to be made, click the Add Supplemental Data tab and make note of corrections to your minor, concentration, major, etc. (i.e. – “Add Spanish minor”, “Kinesiology concentration should be Movement Sciences”, etc.)